Hair Care:
Get vibrant healthy hair through nutrition

Hair Care and Supplementation

Hair follicles include an oil gland, the sebaceous gland that provides an oily coat to each hair. Your hair is an extension of your skin and contains the same pigment cells.

healthy hair

Your hair and its health and appearance are a good indication of the overall health of your body.

Dull, lifeless hair indicates you are not getting the vitamins and nutrients that your body needs.

Except for the palms, soles, and mucous membranes, hair is found over the entire skin surface. What most of us are concerned about is the hair on the head. Whether we have it or not and how long and healthy it is.

Hair loss affects about 35 million men and 21 million women in the United States alone. 40% of men have noticeable hair loss by age 35 and 65% by age 60.

Baldness is largely a genetic thing and diet will not keep you from losing hair if you are genetically programmed to go bald. It can help you maintain stronger, healthier hair and keep you from losing hair to environmental causes such as stress. It can make your hair thicker and more resilient. This can help you look like you have more hair and help to cover up the fact that your hair might be thinning due to genetic factors.

Hair grows in cycles. About 90% of hair is in the active growing phase and the other 10 percent is in the resting stage. The resting phase lasts three to six months, and then the hair goes into the active phase and starts growing.

During the resting phase, the attachment between the hair and the shaft weakens and the hair falls out. So, with about 100,000 hairs on a human head, it is normal for about ninety hairs to fall out daily. Most grow back; if more fall out than grow back, of course you become bald.

Unfortunately, once a hair follicle dies, it can not be resurrected. But we CAN nourish the hair. Research has created healthy treatment for our scalp.

Finding a shampoo and conditioner that does not cause damage or breakage to the hair shaft is important. These products do make a difference. The shiny hair on the models on television is hype. Do you think those models really use that product? Ask your hair stylist for his opinion.

To improve and build healthy hair follicles, besides the right product used, we also want a good soy protein. Protein is a major ingredient of hair, at least ninety per cent. Protein improves the growth of each hair.

Sensible moderation in chemical abuse such as smoking, alcohol, and stimulants is advised. This chemical abuse creates damage in the body as well as the hair. Any chemical abuse reduces nourishment flow to the hair follicle.

We want healthy blood circulation with correct nutrient balance. Hair follicles extend deep into the dermis, thus they can benefit from a supply of blood. Your blood carries all the good or bad little soldiers that help or harm your hair.

Regularity reduces the bodies’ toxic burden. Keeping the body clean, inside and out benefits the entire body. Exercise and good circulation, sends oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles.

Stress reduces the circulation to the hair and body.

A high-fat diet and excessive body-weight also reduces peripheral circulation. Fat changes the shape of the red blood cells.

To have healthy hair you must have a healthy body. Some of the vitamins and supplements that are specific to hair care are listed below. A good overall healthy diet will provide your body and your hair ample nutrition.

A word of caution – most people, even those who watch their food intake closely, cannot get all the required nutrition they need with the foods that we eat. Supplementation has become almost a necessity in today’s world of processed, fast food.

  • Vitamin A - Antioxidant that helps produce healthy sebum in the scalp.

  • Vitamin C - Antioxidant that helps maintain skin & hair health.

  • Vitamin E - Antioxidant that enhances scalp circulation.

  • B-complex - which includes

    • Biotin - Helps produce keratin, may prevent graying and hair loss. .

    • Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) - Prevents graying and hair loss.

    • Vitamin B6 - Prevents hair loss, helps create melanin, which gives hair its color.

    • Vitamin B12 - Prevents hair loss.

  • > Omega 3 essential fatty acids will increase the sheen of the hair.

This is a good beginning to good hair health.


Return from Hair Care to Women's Health

Home Page